To set up a LAN network anywhere, we always do the measurement of LAN cable, how much length of cable is required to pass on the Internet connection through a wire from one place to another place. But it is very important to properly crimp LAN cable in the correct order. In this article, we’ll learn crimping of UTP cable using RJ-45 connector which is used to connect computer hardware.
Well, before we start, the materials to be prepared are UTP cable, RJ-45 connector, and crimping pliers and if it is better, if you have Lan tester to test the cable, if not, can still use another way to test it.
Instruments that are used to Crimp UTP Cable
Tang Crimper / Crimping Tools – It is a tool that is used for crimping 8P8C 6P6C RJ45 RJ11 phone cables.
UTP Cable – Unshielded twisted pair (UTP) is a ubiquitous type of copper cabling used in telephone wiring and local area networks (LANs).
LAN Tester – A cable tester is an electronic device used to verify the electrical connections in a cable or other wired assembly.
RJ 45 Connector – RJ45 is a type of connector commonly used for Ethernet networking.
UTP cable consists of 2 types, namely Straight and Cross, straight cable is used to connect two different hardware such as connecting PC to Switch / Hub, and a Cross cable is used to connect two of the same hardware as from PC to PC, Laptop to Laptop.
To create a Straight cable, the color arrangement used is:
The color Sequence on tip 1 = White Orange, Orange, White Green, Blue, White Blue, Green, White-Brown, Brown. The color bouquet at using 2 is the same as the 1st end.
To make the Cross cable, the order of colors used are: The color arrangement at the tip 1 = White Orange, Orange, White Green, Blue, White Blue, Green, White-Brown, Brown
The color arrangement at the end of 2 is = White Green, Green, Orange Orange, Blue, White Blue, Orange, White-Brown, Brown
How to Make Ethernet Cable OR Crimp UTP Cable into RJ-45
- Peel the skin of the cable 2 inch down from the end.
- Now separate the eight wires like the corresponding image.
- Put the Wires in the Correct Order like T568A and Prep Them for Crimping
- Once you have arranged the wires in order cut off the excess wire so that only about a half-inch remains like image.
- Now put the wire in the RJ 45 connector in the same order and Push the cable all the way in until all eight wires are touching the end of the connector
- Now use your crimping tool and slide the connector in the crimping slot. Once the connector fits in the crimping tool, squeeze down on the tool to crimp the connector.
- After completing all the steps use the LAN tester tool to check the cable has been crimping properly and can be used.